Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Teaching!

We have finally gotten into the classroom!

Yesterday we had our first real day of teaching. We arrived at Kabuga High School, (KHS) in the morning, recieved our timetables (Monday-Thursday, a total of about 13-14 hours of teaching total) and were promptly thrown into the classroom and left to teach!
The only class we taught on Monday at KHS was a Senior 2 English class. The class has 13 students, aged 14-17 years old. They are good english speakers, and good writers, but they need some help with their sentance formations and grammar in general.

With no lesson planned (we figured we would just be observing on the first day), we started with introductions. Names, ages, where they are from, favorite color, class etc...
All of the students were excited to have mzungu (white people) as teachers, and students would walk by the windows and peer in in awe! But our students were quite attentive and excited, which jazzed Sophia and I for the two hours.
After trying to learn some names (some are quite unusual, but we are learning quickly) we looked through their notebooks and decided just to review what they had been learning: Grammar! Our best subject! Not! But we got through it and quickly found a grammar book after class.
But we played a game with them, with two teams forming sentances on the board, with certain verbs and tenses, and whomever finished first got a point. The students seemed to really enjoy the game and were full of enegery and competition! It was fun to watch them and help them when they needed.
Through this game we also came to find the variety of levels that the students are at. Some are very sharp, can read and write very well and understand new concepts very easily. Others are not quite as fast, and need much more help. But everyone in the classroom seems to be accepting and always willing to help other students, sometimes even too much where the student doens't get a change to try! But Sophia and I, even though it has only been two days, have gained respect from the students as teachers and they listen to us when we suggest something or ask them to wait before they shout out the answer.

After our first class at KHS we rushed off to make it to our class at the community center, Girimpuwhe at 2pm. The classes there are every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2-4pm.
Our class there is about 15 students, with an age range of 9 years old to 68 years old! It is such a fun class with many different personalities and backgrounds. But a common thread runs through them all; they all really want to be there and learn English, which makes our jobs much easier!
It was stressed to us that we use reading and writing as little as possible, so no one is left out if they feel they cannot read/write as well as the others. We have started with greetings, "Hello. How are you? I am fine. My name is...I am...years old. I live in..." as well as colors, and body parts (Everyone gets a kick out of the song 'head shoulders knees and toes').


Today we had another two hour class at KHS with the same Senior 2 english students! It was a blast today as we had our lesson planned out and the students were very receptive to our organization. We introduced two new tenses, Present Perfect Tense, and Past Perfect Tense! They are so quick at catching on and can create sentances using the tenses within minutes after explaining! We tried to incorporate things they were used to (i.e. We write the definition + examples on the blackboard and they copy down in their notebooks) along with our more creative techniques (thanks to our TEFL course) like creating a dialoque using the tenses between two people and acting it out for the class.
It is such a thrill to see when students catch on or have an "Ah-ha!" moment! They are so happy when they can share to the class what they have learned and it is a joy for us too!

Tomorrow we will be starting a new class at KHS, a Senior 1 English class, as well as have our Girimpuwhe Conversational class. We both are happy to have full and busy schedules that leave us tired at night but excited in the morning! We are really settling into things here, even though it has barely been a week. We recieved some treats from home (Reese's Peanut Butter Cups) which were accepted VERY well!

Although at times we miss home, and the snow, we are soaking up the sun here and are very excited about all of our classes, students, and future experiences!

I hope people are reading, please leave us some comments! We love to hear from people from home!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you are having an amazing time, what a great thing you are doing. I really enjoy reading the blog entries, keep up the good work. Nizzy Bascom

Anonymous said...

Ladies,

Bravo! You're in at Kabuga! Hope all is well. Sounds it. Keep on keepin' on.

Glenn get you the camera?

Mr. Rand

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna and Sophia!
I miss you both but it sounds like you are having an amazing time so far! Anna, your parents were here for the superbowl which was fun of course and they told me your blog address so I've been enjoying reading your entries. I would die if I had to teach grammar! It sounds like you guys have a really busy schedule. We had a snow day yesterday and it's been snowing all day so I'm hoping for good skiing this weekend. I can't wait to see your pictures! Have fun!
Love,
Meg
P.S. My dad says that Sophia should smack Anna for him (:

Anonymous said...

Hi girls!

It's so cool to be able to read about your experiences. Teaching sounds like it suits you, though maybe grammar wouldn't have been your first choice, eh? I actually like the subject, but I'm a nerd that way.

I like it when you add Rwandan words to the blog. It'd be a hoot to sing Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes in their language!
XO
Kate the Great

Anonymous said...

Anna and Sophia,

Congratulations! You're really teaching! I can't wait to see you in action when we come in April. You will be seasoned pros by then. You will have much to teach us about Rwandans and the fine nuances of Rwandan culture.

I'm glad to hear you are settled in and happy. Please keep writing! It's great to hear about the details of your teaching and daily lives in Africa.

Keep us posted on your transportation issues, successes, revelations, etc.

Love and greetings to everyone at the "compound." (Have you seen Gyslaine?)

Amahoro
Ndagakunda :)
Jeannie

Unknown said...

Hello Ladies!

It was a blast reading your postings and seeing the pictures. I am so impressed with how well you are jumping in and teaching. I will look forward to hearing more about your adventures and successes. I think there is nothing more rewarding than teaching and can see that you are experiencing that too. I know you will both be making a real difference!

Take care and soak up some of the sun for me!

Ellen Berrings

Anonymous said...

"Life is nothing if not a daring adventure."
You remain my heroes!!!
:-) Adele

Unknown said...

Hello Anna and Sophia,
I am proud of you and know that having you as ambassadors for the US will be wonderful for all of the Harwood Students.
You are a real connection for the school and our support.
As for what you are gaining it will be a treasure for ever.
Thinking of you and wishing you many more days of smiling attentive faces that really do make teaching a wonderful profession.
Mrs. Sherman

Anonymous said...

hey sophia -
this is SO AMAAAZING!
and to think, how you helped me at showcase video - for so long looking for jerry mcguire! then, i go out with kate, jack's mom - last week and she tells me of your whereabouts!!!?! and what you both are doing...
i had no idea.
i bought a christmas wreath at flatbread to help support your trip - but i never made the connection it was YOU!
you 2 are awesome!....
what an amazing adventure....
keep your blog entries coming!
all best to you both -
tracy martin

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna and Sophia,
That's awesome, I'm sending everyone your link. I am happy to be living vicariously through you, and I hope the sun is treating you well, it looks beautiful. I am glad I get to read about your trip, although I can't wait to hear about it in person. I'll keep on reading!
Love, Katarina
P.S. Good luck with the grammar. I bet you are making them laugh though.